Monday, August 2, 2010

Weekend Wrap

It's frickin' hot and humid. Dog days of summer are looming. This summer's been kind of surreal, just in how quickly time is flying. The boys had a blast, and I got their room all sorted. I have them help me with it, but their library of books was a chaotic mess, and Exene sure as hell wasn't going to touch that, so I sorted through and organized it yesterday, and it looks great. I made it all functional -- activity books on the top, then nonfiction (divided between oversized books on one shelf and normal-sized books on the other), then a shelf of fiction for B1, and the bottom shelf being fiction books for B2. It looks great. I was very satisfied. It was cute, too -- while I was doing this, B2 came up and grabbed a dustrag and asked if he could help. He loves helping that way. It's terribly cute. I said "Sure, Buddy." and let him go, watched him very diligently clean the shelves with the dustrag. B2 is very much a joining-in type of guy, for all his impish pugnacity, he wants to help, so I encourage that when I see it. I think that'll work in a variety of settings, like food and chores -- like his desire to be in on "the action" (whatever it is at the moment) can have him playing ball almost despite himself. B1 is curious, because he is both more sensitive than B2 on some levels, and yet also more stubborn. I think that's a good thing, truly -- his stubbornness protects that sensitivity on some level.

My plan is to get B1 to eat a wider variety of foods by bringing B2 to the table to join in with me at dinner. I'd like the boys to eat more foods, not just their favorites. So, I'm going to try to bring them to the table by cooking good stuff and getting them to try some new foods.

Anyway, I didn't get as much written as I wanted, because I was busy with the boys, but the weather was nice, I got some reading done, and generally just enjoyed myself the way I usually do.