Thursday, August 5, 2010

Miscellany

Watched "The Black Hole" with B1 last night. He loves that movie, because he loves all black hole-related stuff, of course. So, lucky me, I get to watch that decidedly mediocre movie umpteen times! Still, it's cute to watch it with him. We theorized that the black hole in the movie must've had a ring singularity in it, hence the characters being able to travel to another universe (yessss, I know there's allegorical Heaven and Hell pictured in the "trippy" sequence as they enter the black hole, but whatever -- that's boring). It was fun to hear him theorizing about parts of the movie. I remember my father taking me to see that movie, and how I'd been enthused about it, only to be disappointed by the movie (although I did have a V.I.N.CENT action figure, I remember). B1 loves it. So, I'm sure I'll get to watch it many more times, still. But, hey, it's got Ernest Borgnine in it, so that's something it has going for it, right?

Lordy, Lollapalooza starts tomorrow. Oh, man. The city's gonna be insane. Soundgarden's headlining. It's almost worth heading down to the park and loitering just to hear them play. They're playing a little show at the Vic, which would be crazy-hard to get into (and I've heard that it's even harder -- that "winners" of the ticket raffles have to go dicking around the city to find where the tickets have been hidden -- what kind of minfuck is that? My sympathies on whoever's actually won those tickets).

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm going to do this weekend. Take the bike out for a spin, probably (weather permitting -- we keep getting a lot of rain). Entertain the boys, sling out some query letters and what-not. Get more writing done.

I finished watching "The Wire" (on DVD). It was a good series, another gem in HBO's serial drama crown, although the writer(s) took some liberties with plot and character at a few key points to get to the end they wanted. Still, kudos to them for actually ending the series, instead of dragging it on forever, like they do on network programs. There's something to be said for shows that don't overstay their welcome and have a defined narrative arc (the UK "The Office" is a key example of that, the right approach, whereas the US "The Office" has just gone on and on and on).