Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Snakes Alive!

I saw a nice, healthy garter snake in my work neighborhood the other day. I think that was the first time I've ever seen a snake in the city (I'm sure they were probably here, but I've just never seen one before). It was great -- easily two feet long, maybe two (of my) fingers thick, slithering across the sidewalk and into a garden. I loved seeing that. Some Latinas were approaching with a stroller, and I announced the snake, like "Wow, a garter snake!" because I didn't want them to run over it with their stroller (they didn't see it until I mentioned it). It was way cool. I just loved how healthy it was. The street that it was on is perfect for it, because it has gardens all around it, not too much traffic, and there's a wild area on the side of the Metra tracks, too, that provides a kind of mini-sanctuary for it. Go, snake!