Friday, March 5, 2010

Quakers, Spring, Age, Life

I was thinking about how that Chilean earthquake actually altered Earth's rotation a bit, shifting the axis and making our days shorter by like a microsecond and a half. That is fascinating to me, an 8.8 magnitude quake doing that.

Today is a sunny day, bright and cold, the snow melting incrementally. Spring is flexing her toes, giving Old Man Winter the brush-off. Spring is a cutie, all fresh flowers and smiles.

I turn 40 next month! Like in 41 days, I'll be 40 years old! Some people fret about that, but I'm okay with it. I remember as a teenager thinking about how I'd be 30 in 2000, and how far away that seemed. Worlds away. I never imagined where I'd be, what I'd be doing. Just being alive in 2000 was something I thought would be cool. Of course, look where I was, what I ended up doing. Hah.

Still, I duly filled out the Census information (held back a few laughs as I worked on it, given my life situation, which is radically changing from where I was the last time a Census rolled around), and that also made me imagine where I'll be in 10 more years -- B1 will be 18 (nooo!) and B2 will be 14. Astounding. My little guys. Wow. It makes me want to enjoy the time I have with them all the more. More quality time, more fun. I bring so much fun to their little worlds -- they're such a couple of daddy's boys. But I'm going to really make the most of those years. Exene is all about scheduling the boys, but I am much more in favor of unstructured time, letting them savor their lives and childhoods. I try to find some balance in the mix. Kids are so special, and childhood is such a magical time. I will do my best to make the next 10 years even better for them -- craft a new, loving home for them, let them take comfort in that.

Spring is coming. Spring is 15 days away.