Friday, June 3, 2011

There and Back and There and Back And Back There Again

Beautiful day -- mild temperatures, lots of sun. Classic early summer weather. One annoyance for me, although I was sanguine about it -- I had a flat bike tire on the way home. It hit when I was a couple of miles from home, so instead of heading back home, I walked it to the nearest bike shop, although as I did that, I recalled that I had neglected to put my wheel key in my messenger bag (those are to make it somewhat harder for thieves to steal my bike tires), so I ended up having to walk the bike to the shop, then walking back home for the keys, then walking back down to the shop, then walking back home (and I've got one more walk left, to go pick the bike back up). Anyway, that's about 5 miles of walking added to my usual bike routine. I'm just glad the bike crapped out relatively close to home, or I'd have been miffed. Had it been in the heart of downtown, I don't know where I'd have gone. Of course, walking it made the most sense, as the city was packed with beachgoers today, everybody taking advantage of the beautiful weather. There were a ton of people at the beaches, and lots of police. Despite the irritation of the bike tire, I was sanguine about it all -- what am I going to do about it, right? I just deal with the problem at hand.

So, at the moment, I'm having some leftover pizza and am washing it down with a Chinotto, knowing that I've got one stroll left to take (I was pleased that the bike shop wasn't packed -- that was my lone concern, with the weather being all good, I feared lots of people would be in there, but it was casual).

"So You Think You Can Dance" is on again; I missed the opening episode(s) which I think were on Wednesday. Ahh, Jeanine Mmmmason...


So, so yummy!

I'm actually thinking of finding a dance school for B1 -- he's got the most innate sense of rhythm I've ever seen in anyone, and sometimes he busts out some moves every now and then that are very cool. I'll see what's around town, what's reasonable and seems bullshit-free. I think he'd enjoy it, actually, because it's athletic but kind of sneaks it in with the music and the rhythm. He's actually got a real sense of movement, and I think that's something a person either has, or they don't. It's fun to watch, and if I can find a tap or jazz program or something like that which he might enjoy, I'll enroll him and see if he enjoys it. I think he will, because, as I've said, it slips out in dribs and drabs, his keen sense of rhythm.

It's funny, because B2 is the natural athlete, as I've said before -- quick, strong, competitive -- he's also a natural performer and showboat, and B1 seems clumsier than his younger brother, except in that realm of rhythm. Get some music going, and B1 kind of gets into a cool groove, and it's fun to watch. His normally shy and earnest self dissolves into this natural dancer. It's totally unexpected, and a joy to see. So, trying to be a good parent, I'm paying attention to what my kid enjoys and am giving him the opportunity to see if that's something he'd like. B2 will be a natural soccer (or, god help me, rugby) hooligan; but B1, I can see really enjoying dance. I respect dance, because it's frickin' hard, and the body awareness of dance reaps dividends in a variety of ways.