Friday, October 15, 2010

This & That

I woke up too early. Couldn't go back to sleep. Gonna be one of those lonnnng days.

On the bright side, I've had a handful of great short story ideas that I'm going to write once I'm done with the book draft. That's kind of my "reward" for finishing a book -- I'll dive into some short stories. That's always my private joke about that: the reward for writing is more writing! That's how it goes. The four short stories just jumped into my head, two days in a row. I liked the ideas well enough to commit to them.

I grabbed the Cronenberg "The Fly" (1986) and Romero's "Monkey Shines" (1988) on DVD -- those are movies I hadn't seen in a long time, and with Halloween coming, I wanted to indulge in some Horror-type movies. I enjoyed "The Fly" -- it really is very old-school Horror, in many ways. Funny to see Geena Davis in it, too -- she dresses SO 80s in it, it's very amusing. I can actually remember classmates in high school dressing just like that. Jeff Goldblum did a good job in that role as Seth Brundle. I read that he's an accomplished jazz pianist, which doesn't surprise me, since he plays the piano a bit in "The Fly" and I thought "Wow, he can actually play." I'm sure it's one of those actorly details he wanted to include, just to fill out his character a bit. I'm gonna watch "Monkey Shines" tonight. I haven't seen that one since it first came out, but I remembered liking it back then.

A coworker of mine didn't get the job he was hoping to get, and it really rattled him. It was kind of rattling to see him so rattled -- I mean, he's a fretful type, anyway, but seeing him visibly unsettled by that failure was kind of alarming. What's he got to worry about? His wife works full-time, so even losing his job, he'll still have that. Sure, they'll take a financial hit, but he's got her as a partner to help him out. I should be stressed out about the job situation, but I'm just not. Maybe it's just because of the stressload I've had to deal with for the past three+ years, I just take this stuff in stride, anymore, and don't get upset about it. I don't know. The coworker is 10 years younger than me, has a PhD -- he's got nothing to worry about, truly. He'll find something. As I said, I should be the one worrying, but I'm just not, and it's hard to really explain why. Something'll work out. I'll just make it happen.