Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bradbury on Writing

This clip of Ray Bradbury is enjoyable, although he grew up in the golden age of short speculative fiction, where there were plenty of venues for short stories of the type he writes/wrote. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot harder in genre fiction to find homes for your work, let alone paying gigs (where, paradoxically, more and more writers are competing in fewer and fewer venues with ever-diminishing readership/circulations, for less and less pay). The kind of Horatio Alger story Bradbury actually experienced is a much unlikelier tale these days.

I banged out 3000 words this morning on the new project -- I never call it a "book" when I first start it, because it's not a book until it's done. But it was nice to get that much down on the front end. I'm going to try to get back to my old turnout level of around 3000-6000 words a day. When Exene's out of my daily mix, I should be able to get even more words down.