Monday, April 26, 2010

Boys will be...boys?

I'm home with the boys today -- B1 had a fever last night, a chest something-or-other that had him coughing a fair piece, so I'm keeping an eye on him and taking care of him and his brother today. B2 had his usual preschool stuff to attend to.

I also did the dishes, took out the trash, and am in the process of cleaning the boys' room and looking for new jobbage.

While in the midst of this, I hear squabbling in the other room, B1 crying out, and I see B2 astride his brother, B1 on his stomach, with B2 brandishing the ball peen hammer we use to drive the tent stakes when camping. I always keep it high above B2, out of his reach -- but Exene had put all the camping gear in a box on the floor, where B2 could reach it, and he used it to go after his big brother. Lordy. I managed to intercede before B2 could get more than one clumsy blow on his brother's shoulder, but lordy, lordy.

B2 is so much more of a scrapper than his sweet big brother. B1 is much bigger than his baby brother, but he's also so much kinder and sweeter -- it doesn't occur to him to take a rubber mallet and use it as a weapon.

I'm sure households with lots of girls in them have their own issues, but somehow, a household of boys makes a ball peen hammer bludgeoning likelier, no? I'm just glad I got the hammer from B2 before it really became Hammer Time.

Sheesh. I made B2 take a time out and then come out and give his brother a hug and a kiss and apologize for hitting him.

AND, I put that hammer back where I had it before, hell and gone from B2's diminutive-yet-deadly clutches!

I should also add that B2 loves and idolizes his big brother. He just adores him. But he is also much more of a rough-houser than his big brother, and that comes up from time to time.