Saturday, February 27, 2010

Row, Row

I really like my rowing machine. I got one for about $149 a number of months ago -- a cheap but well-reviewed one. It's good stuff. Usually about 30-60 minutes of it a day does the trick. I definitely feel it, and it's toning me up nicely -- a good, low-impact blend of cardio and strength. Although I am going to add some additional cardio to the mix, likely jump rope.

I remember reading that for big guys like me, rowing and swimming are some of the best things to do, in terms of biomechanics -- some of the worst are running and biking, just from the inertial costs of movement and wear and tear on the joints. I enjoy biking, will likely always do it, but I'm not one of those hardcore All-Season Chicago Bikers -- strictly a tourist! So, I need additional cardio in the winter to make up for that.

Blah blah blah.

Getting the boys ready for the outing today. They'll love the planetarium; they always do!

I forgot that B1 gets Monday off for Pulaski Day, a very Chicago municipal holiday! So, hopefully the weather will be good and I'll get them to the playground or something. Not sure, yet.

Driving my first Zipcar tomorrow -- a Scion xB! The boys will likely think that's pretty great. It's kinda surreal -- the way they do the Zipcar thing, it's like a secret agent mission -- you make your reservation for X car, and you get instructions on what to do, where to get it. You just go there and your Zipcard opens the car, and off you go. Cue "Mission Impossible" theme!